Place:


Hadden  Roxburghshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hadden like this:

Hadden, an ancient village, now reduced to a single farmhouse, in Sprouston parish, NE Roxburghshire, 7 furlongs E of the English Border, 5 furlongs SSW of Carham station, and 5 miles ENE of Kelso. In olden days it was a frequent meeting-place of Scottish and English commissioners, to adjust boundaries and to settle disputes. Hadden Rig, a ridge of elevated land that runs through the middle of the parish, and culminates at an altitude of 541 feet, was the scene in 1540 of the defeat of 3000 mounted English troops by a Scotch force.—Ord. Sur., sh. 26, 1864.

Hadden through time

Hadden is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hadden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hadden, in Scottish Borders and Roxburghshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22147

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hadden ".