Place:


Gavinton  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gavinton like this:

Gavinton, a village in Langton parish, Berwickshire, 2 miles SW of Duns. Built in 1760 to supersede the ancient village of Langton, which stood ½ mile to the N, it took its name from Mr Gavin, the then proprietor, and is a neat place, on a regular plan, with a post office under Duns and Langton parish church.

Gavinton through time

Gavinton is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gavinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gavinton, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22123

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gavinton ".