Place:


Gairsay  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gairsay like this:

Gairsay, an island of Evie and Rendall parish, Orkney, 1¼ mile E of the nearest part of Orkney mainland, and 1½ NW of Shapinshay. It measures 2 miles in greatest length, and 1½ mile in greatest breadth; consists chiefly of a conical hill of considerable altitude; rises steeply on the W side; includes, on the E and on the S, some low, fertile, well-cultivated land; contains, close to the S shore, remains of a fine old mansion, once the seat of Sir William Craigie; and has a small harbour, called Millburn, perfectly sheltered on all sides, mainly by Gairsay itself, and partly by a small island in the harbour's mouth. ...


Pop. (1851) 41, (1871) 34, (1881) 37.

Gairsay through time

Gairsay is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gairsay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gairsay in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22114

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gairsay ".