Place:


Findon  Kincardineshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Findon like this:

Findon or Finnan, a fishing village in Banchory Devenick parish, Kincardineshire, 1½ mile NE of Portlethen station, this being 8 miles S by W of Aberdeen. It is a little place, of no more consequence than other fishing villages on the E coast; but it has gained celebrity for having been the first place to prepare the dried fish, called from it Findon or Finnan haddocks. Its boats number 30, its fishermen 96; and there is a public school. Pop. (1861) 190, (1871) 330.—Ord. Sur., sh. 67, 1871.

Findon through time

Findon is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Findon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Findon, in Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22104

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Findon ".