Place:


Cults  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cults like this:

Cults, a hamlet in the Aberdeenshire section of Banchory-Devenick parish, near the left bank of the Dee, with a station on the Deeside railway, 4 miles WSW of Aberdeen, under which it has a post and telegraph office. At it are a Free church and an endowed school; and near it stands Cults House, whose owner, Rt. Shirra-Gibb, Esq. (b. 1847; suc. 1880), holds 981 acres in the shire, valued at £1669 per annum. Two stone coffins, containing human remains, were found a little to the N of this mansion in 1850; and three large cairns are still on the estate.

Cults through time

Cults is now part of Aberdeen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cults itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cults, in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22070

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cults ".