Place:


Corsewall  Wigtownshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Corsewall like this:

Corsewall, a mansion, a ruined castle, and a headland with a lighthouse in Kirkcolm parish, W Wigtownshire. The mansion stands, amid finely-wooded policies, near the W shore of Loch Ryan, in the northern vicinity of of Kirkcolm village, and 6 miles NNW of Stranraer; its owner, Jn. Carrick-Moore, Esq. ...


(b. 1805; suc. 1860), holds 3362 and 2069 acres in Wigtown and Ayr shires, valued at £2920 and £1726,10s. per annum. The castle, 3 miles NW, is now only part of a thick-walled tower 20 feet high; and, in the latter part of last century, was found to contain a cannon 7 feet long. The headland is situated 1 mile NW of the castle, and 2½ miles WSW of Milleur Point at the entrance to Loch Ryan. Its lighthouse, built in 1815-16 at a cost of £7835, is 92 feet high, with a lantern raised 112 feet above high-water level, and shows every minute a revolving light. alternately red and white, and visible for 15 nautical miles.

The location is that of Corsewall Castle.

Corsewall through time

Corsewall is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Corsewall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corsewall, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22057

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corsewall ".