Place:


Cobbinshaw  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cobbinshaw like this:

Cobinshaw, a station and an adjoining reservoir in West Calder parish, Edinburghshire. The station is on the Caledonian railway, 18 miles SW of Edinburgh. The reservoir, lying 880 feet above sea-level, has an utmost length from SSW to NNE of 1½ mile, whilst its breadth varies from 1 to 3½ furlongs. ...


Its head just falls within Lanarkshire, and its western shore is closely followed by the Carstairs and Edinburgh fork of the Caledonian railway. Formed to supply the Union Canal, it presents the appearance of a bleak natural lake; in 1877 Mr Jn. Anderson stocked it with 20,000 salmon and sea-trout ova from the Tay, which seem to thrive well, ranging from 2 to 3 lbs. in August 1880.

Cobbinshaw through time

Cobbinshaw is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cobbinshaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cobbinshaw, in West Lothian and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22050

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cobbinshaw ".