Place:


Clyth  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clyth like this:

Clyth, a coast hamlet of Latheron parish, Caithness, 2¼ miles E of Lybster. A strong castle on a rock here, overhanging the sea, belonged to one Gunn, justiciary of Caithness, who was basely murdered by Keith, Earl Marischal, in 1478. A baylet, Clyth harbour, lies open to the SE; and a stream, Clyth Burn, runs 3½ miles south-south-eastward to the sea. A public school, called Newlands of Clyth, with accommodation for 150 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 81, and a grant of £70,17s. 6d.

Clyth through time

Clyth is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clyth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyth, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22049

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clyth ".