Place:


Clyde Iron Works  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clyde Iron Works like this:

Clyde Iron-works, a village, with large pig-iron works, in the SW corner of Old Monkland parish, Lanarkshire, on the right bank of the Clyde, in the southern vicinity of Tollcross, 3 miles ESE of Glasgow. The works employ the most improved methods of smelting; draw their supplies of blackband ironstone from Old and New Monkland and parishes; and had 6 furnaces built and 4 in blast in 1879.

Clyde Iron Works through time

Clyde Iron Works is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clyde Iron Works itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyde Iron Works, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22046

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clyde Iron Works ".