Place:


Cleghorn  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cleghorn like this:

Cleghorn, a mansion, an estate, and a station in Lanark parish, Lanarkshire. The mansion stands near the station, on the right bank of Mouse Water, 2¼ miles NE of Lanark town, and is an old but comfortable edifice, surrounded by a finely-wooded park. Its owner, Wm. Eliott-Lockhart, Esq. ...


(b. 1833; suc. 1878), holds 2280 acres in the shire, valued at £2554 per annum. The estate includes a romantic ravine along the course of Mouse Water; had anciently a chapel; and contains vestiges of a Roman camp, 600 yards long and 420 broad, supposed to have been formed by Agricola. The station is on the Glasgow and Carstairs section of the Caledonian railway, 2¾ miles W of Carstairs; and adjoins the junction of the branch line to Lanark and Douglas.

Cleghorn through time

Cleghorn is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cleghorn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cleghorn in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22042

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cleghorn ".