Place:


Shingay  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shingay like this:

SHINGAY, or Shengay, a parish in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge; on the river Cam, 5 miles NNW of Royston r. station. Post town, Arrington, under Royston. Acres, 754. Real property, £1,458. Pop., 128. Houses, 26. The property belongs to the Earl of Hardwicke. A preceptory was founded here, in 1140, by Sybilla, daughter of Roger de Montgomery. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Wendy.

Shingay through time

Shingay is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shingay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shingay in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2204

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shingay ".