Place:


Chapelhall  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Chapelhall like this:

Chapelhall, a large village in the NE of Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, near the left bank of North Calder Water, 2 miles NNE of Holytown, and 2½ SE of Airdrie, under which it has a post office. Chiefly dependent on the iron-works and collieries of the Monkland Company, it is of recent origin, and consists of well-built houses, nearly one-half of them the property of operatives; at it are a Free church, St Aloysins Roman Catholic church (1859), and a public and a Roman Catholic school, which, with respective accommodation for 250 and 249 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 229 and 192, and grants of £199,5s. ...


and £135,8s. Pop. (1841) 1431, (1861) 1990, (1871) 1707, (1881) 1675.

Chapelhall through time

Chapelhall is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chapelhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chapelhall in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22036

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chapelhall ".