Place:


Calderhead  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Calderhead like this:

Calderhead, a quoad sacra parish and a registration district in Shotts and Cambusnethan parishes, Lanarkshire, lying around the head of South Calder river, 2½ miles SSE of Kirk-of-Shotts. Constituted in 1872, the parish is in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. ...


Its church was built as a chapel of ease in 1860, at a cost of £1000; and under Calderhead school-board, 4 schools-Allanton, Calderhead, and 2 at Shotts-with total accommodation for 987 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 760, and grants amounting to £645,15s. 3d. Pop. of registration district (1861) 4034, (1871) 4271, (1881) 4157.

The location is that shown for Calderhead on modern 1:25,000 maps, and is somewhat to the south of the modern Calderhead High School.

Calderhead through time

Calderhead is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calderhead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calderhead in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22025

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calderhead ".