Place:


Westnewton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westnewton like this:

NEWTON (West), a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bromfield parish, Cumberland. The village stands 2 miles N by W of Aspatria r. station, and 3 E N E of Allonby. The township includes also Allonby, and bears the name of West Newton and Allonby. Acres, 1, 794; of which 573 are water. Real property of the West Newton-proper portion, £2, 423; of the Allonby portion, £3, 204. ...


Pop. in 1851, 749; in 1861, 649. Houses, 180. The decrease of pop. was only apparent, and arose from the temporary absence of men on sea-voyages, or employed in fishing. The chapelry includes only part of the township, yet extends beyond it; and was constituted in 1860. Post-town, Aspatria, under Carlisle. Pop., 422. Houses, 83. The manor belongs to Joliffe, Esq. An ancient castle was here; and a tower of it remains. Red freestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £138.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1856; and is a stone edifice, with two stained-glass windows. There is a parochial school.

Westnewton through time

Westnewton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westnewton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westnewton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2200

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westnewton ".