Place:


Breich  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Breich like this:

Breich, a rivulet of Lanark, Linlithgow, and Edinburgh shires. It rises in Cambusnethan parish, Lanarkshire, receiving there the Lingore, Kitchen, Darmead, and Leadloch burns; and, passing soon out of Lanarkshire, proceeds about 7¾ miles east-north-eastward, along the boundary between Linlithgow and Edinburgh shires, till it falls into the Almond, 2 miles E by N of Blackburn. ...


Places called Breichdyke, Wester Breich, Mid Breich, and Easter Breich, are on its left side, within Whitburn parish, Linlithgowshire, near its influx to the Almond; and also in Whitburn is Breich station, on the Cleland section of the Caledonian railway, 4¼ miles W by S of West Calder station, serving for Longrigg.

Breich through time

Breich is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Breich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Breich, in West Lothian and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21994

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Breich ".