Place:


Blackwood  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Blackwood like this:

Blackwood, a railway station and an estate in Lesmahagow parish, Lanarkshire- The station is on the Lesmahagow branch of the Caledonian, adjacent to the river Nethan, near Kirkmuirhill village, 2 miles S of Stonehouse station, and nearly 4 SE of Stonehouse town. The estate lies on the NW border of Lesmahagow parish; and the mansion on it, 2 miles W of the railway station, is the seat of Jas. ...


Chas. Hope Vere, Esq. (b. 1858; suc. 1872), owner of 6863 acres, valued at £11,303 per annum, including £5781 for minerals.. An ancient Caledonian battle-axe of stone was found on the estate, and is preserved in the mansion.

Blackwood through time

Blackwood is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackwood in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21980

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackwood ".