Place:


Skirwith  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skirwith like this:

SKIRWITH, a township-chapelry in Kirkland parish, Cumberland; 7½ miles E by N of Penrith r. station. Post town, Penrith. Real property, £2,756. Pop., 314. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to Lady le Fleming. S. House occupies the site of a Templars' preceptory, and is the seat ofParker, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £112.* Patron,Parker, Esq. The church was built in 1859; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Skirwith through time

Skirwith is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skirwith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skirwith, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2197

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skirwith ".