Place:


Claverhouse  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Claverhouse like this:

Claverhouse, a hamlet and a bleachfield in Mains parish, Forfarshire. The village stands on Dighty Water, 3½ miles N by E of Dundee, under which it has a post office. The bleachfield adjoins the hamlet, and is a very extensive establishment for the boiling and bleaching of yarn and linen cloth. Claverhouse mansion, which stood a little to the N, was the family seat of John Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee (164389), the ` Bloody Claver'se' of the Covenanters, the ` Bonnie Dundee ' of Jacobites; its site is now occupied by a modern monumental structure, in the form of a ruin.

Claverhouse through time

Claverhouse is now part of Dundee district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dundee has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claverhouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claverhouse, in Dundee and Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21966

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claverhouse ".