Place:


Loch Ryan  Wigtownshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Loch Ryan like this:

Lochryan, a quoad sacra parish in Inch parish, Wigtownshire, around Cairnryan village, on the E side of Loch Ryan, 5½ miles N of Stranraer. Lochryan House, 3 furlongs NNW of Cairnryan, is a plain substantial mansion, with finely-wooded grounds. Its owner, Sir William T. F. Agnew-Wallace, eighth Bart. ...


since 1669 (b. 1830; suc. 1857), holds 5785 acres in the shire, valued at £1373 per annum. The parish is in the presbytery of Stranraer and the synod of Galloway; its minister's stipend is £120. The church was built in 1841 as a chapel of ease. Pop. (1871) 354, (1881) 292.—Ord. Sur., sh. 3, 1856.

Loch Ryan through time

Loch Ryan is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loch Ryan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loch Ryan, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21964

Date accessed: 17th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Loch Ryan ".