Place:


Cairnryan  Wigtownshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Cairnryan like this:

Cairnryan, a sea-port village in Inch parish, Wigtownshire, on the eastern shore of Loch Ryan, 5½ miles N of Stranraer. It has a post office under Stranraer, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an inn, a good harbour, an Established church, a Free church, and a General Assembly's school. The harbour is on a small sheltered bay, where vessels of any burden may anchor in perfect safety. The Established church (1841) is the church of Lochryan quoad sacra parish.

Cairnryan through time

Cairnryan is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cairnryan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cairnryan, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21949

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cairnryan ".