Place:


Blackburn  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Blackburn like this:

Blackburn, a village in Whitburn and Livingstone parishes, Linlithgowshire, on the river Almond, 1½ mile E of Whitburn station and 2½ miles S of Bathgate. It has a post office under Bathgate, a cotton mill employing some 120 hands, a mission station of the Church of Scotland, an Independent chapel (1820), and a public school. Pop. (1861) 758, (1871) 954, of whom 850 were in the Livingstone section.

Blackburn through time

Blackburn is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackburn in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21940

Date accessed: 17th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackburn ".