Place:


Bargeddie  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bargeddie like this:

Bargeddie, a post office village in Old Monkland parish, Lanarkshire, 1¾ mile WSW of its post-town, Coatbridge. Here in the autumn of 1876 a church was opened for the quoad sacra parish of Bargeddie, which, formed in 1875, is in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. ...


Geometrical Gothic in style, this church consists of an aisled nave, semi-octagonal transepts, and an apse, with a spire 130 feet high, stained-glass windows, etc. A sessional school, with accommodation for 220 children, had (1879) a day and an evening attendance of 235 and 49, and grants of £223, 8s. and £28,6s. Pop. of village (1881) 100; of q. s. parish (1881) 2980.

Bargeddie through time

Bargeddie is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bargeddie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bargeddie in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21938

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bargeddie ".