Place:


Woodside  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Woodside like this:

Woodside, a police burgh in old Machar parish, Aberdeenshire, near the right bank of the Don, 2 miles NNW of the centre of Aberdeen, and included within its parliamentary boundary. It has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a station on the Great North of Scotland railway, a branch of the Aberdeen Town and County Bank (1880), extensive paper works, a valuable free library (1881), the gift of Sir John Anderson, a large public school, an Established church (1846; made quoad sacra 1862), a Free church, a U.P. ...


church (1879), a Congregational church, and St Joseph's Roman Catholic church (1842). Pop. (1871) 4290, (1881) 5452; of q. s. parish (1881) 5928.—Ord. Sur., sh. 77, 1873.

Woodside through time

Woodside is now part of Aberdeen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodside, in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21926

Date accessed: 27th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodside ".