Place:


Newmains  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newmains like this:

Newmains, a small town in Cainbusnethan parish, Lanarkshire, on the cross-railway from Morningside to Holytown, adjacent to the Coltness Ironworks, 2 miles ENE of Wishaw, and 6 by railway SE of Holytown. Standing amid a rich mineral tract, and inhabited chiefly by miners and ironworkers, it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a railway station, the Coltness memorial quoad sacra church (1878), St Bridget's Roman Catholic church (1871; 300 sittings), a Roman Catholic school, and an elegant edifice, erected by the Coltness Ironworks Company at a cost of £3000, to serve as both a school and a chapel of ease. ...


The school affords regular instruction, under a full staff of teachers, to over 600 children, and is maintained by the Ironworks Company. Pop., jointly with Coltness Ironworks, (1861) 2020, (1871) 2545, (1881) 2682, of whom 1445 were males. Houses (1881) 478 occupied, 35 vacant.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Newmains through time

Newmains is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newmains itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newmains in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21890

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newmains ".