Place:


Lowside Quarter  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowside Quarter like this:

LOWSIDE QUARTER, a township in St. Bees parish, Cumberland; on the coast, and on the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 4 miles S of Whitehaven. It contains the hamlets of Upper Town, Middle Town, Nether Town, Braystones, and Lowmill. Acres, 2,666; of which 726 are water. Pop. in 1851,362; in 1861,264. Houses, 49. The decrease of pop. arose mainly from the destruction by fire of a paper mill. Egermont Castle, now a ruin, is within the township.

Lowside Quarter through time

Lowside Quarter is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowside Quarter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowside Quarter, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2188

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowside Quarter ".