Place:


Harthill  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Harthill like this:

Harthill, a collier village in Shotts parish, NE Lanarkshire, adjacent to the Linlithgowshire border, 15/8 mile E by S of Westcraigs station. It has a post office under Bathgate, with money order and savings' bank departments, an established quoad sacra church, a Free church, and a public school. ...


The quoad sacra parish of Harthill and Benhar, constituted in 1878, is in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Pop. of village (1871) 686, (1881) 1441; of q. s. parish (1881) 3444.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Harthill through time

Harthill is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harthill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harthill in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21856

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harthill ".