Place:


Haggs  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Haggs like this:

Haggs, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Denny parish, SE Stirlingshire. The village, ¾ mile N by E of Castlecary station, and 31/8 miles SSW of Denny town, is conjoint with Longcroft, Parkfoot, and Denny-Loanhead villages, extending 1hf. ...


mile along the road from Kilsyth to Falkirk. It acquired in 1836 a neat row of collier cottages, terminating at one end in a large building, intended for a store. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1875, is in the presbytery of Stirling and synod of Perth and Stirling; the minister's stipend is £120. The church, erected as a chapel of ease in 1840, presents a handsome appearance, and contains 700 sittings. Pop. of registration district and q. s. parish (1871) 1463, (1881) 1500.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Haggs through time

Haggs is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haggs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haggs, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21855

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haggs ".