Place:


Dearham  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dearham like this:

DEARHAM, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township adjoins the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 2½ miles ENE of Maryport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Maryport. Acres, 2, 153. Real property, £7, 747; of which £3, 799 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1, 509. Houses, 325. The parish contains also the township of Ellenborough and Ewanrigg. Acres, 3, 377; of which 250 are water. Real property, £15, 775; of which £8, 743 are in mines. Pop., 2, 595. Houses, 538. The property is much sub-divided. There are extensive collieries and a porcelain manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £85.* Patron, J. Christian, Esq. The church has a carved Saxon font; and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £32.

Dearham through time

Dearham is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dearham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dearham, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2182

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dearham ".