Place:


Culgaith  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Culgaith like this:

CULGAITH, a township-chapelry in Kirkland parish, Cumberland: on the rivers Eden and Tees, at the boundary with Westmoreland, 1½ mile N of Temple-Sowerby r. station, and 6½ E by S of Penrith. Post town, Edenhall, under Penrith. Real property, £2, 693. Pop., 323. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few . The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkland. The church is good.

Culgaith through time

Culgaith is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Culgaith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Culgaith, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2181

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Culgaith ".