Place:


Bartlow  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bartlow like this:

BARTLOW, or Great Bartlow, a parish, with a r. station, in Linton district, Cambridgeshire; on the Cambridge and Haverhill railway, 2¼ miles SE of Linton. Post Town, Linton, under Cambridge. Acres, 370. Real property, £677. Pop., 120. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. ...


Bartlow House and Bartlow Cottage are chief residences. Four barrows, popularly called Bartlow Hills, command an extensive view; and are generally, but erroneously, regarded as graves of the slain in the battle of 1016 between Edmund Ironside and Canute. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £259.* Patron, R. Watkins, Esq. The church has a round Saxon tower, and is very good.

Bartlow through time

Bartlow is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bartlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bartlow in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2178

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bartlow ".