Place:


Babraham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Babraham like this:

BABRAHAM, anciently Badburham, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, near the Gogmagog hills, 2½ miles ENE of Whittlesford r. station, and 6½ SE of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cam bridge; and was formerly a market town. ...


The parish comprises 2,350 acres. Real property, £2,760. Pop., 304. Houses, 67. The manor belonged to Algar, Earl of Mercia; passed, about the year 1576, into the posses sion of Sir Horatio Palavicini, a Genoese; and now he longs to H. J. Adeane, Esq. Sir H. Palavicini collected the pope's taxes in England during the reign of Mary; converted them to his own use, and became Protestant, on the accession of Elizabeth; became a favourite of that queen, one of her negotiators in Germany, and a commander of one of her ships against the Spanish armada; and died at his seat in Babraham; and his widow was married to Sir Oliver Cromwell, the uncle of the Protec tor. A curious epitaph on him is given in "Lord Or ford's Anecdotes of Painting." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £106. Patron, H. J. Adeane, Esq. An almshouse and a free school, with income of £134, were founded in 1723 by Lebinus Bush and Judith Bennet; and a monument to her is in the church.

Babraham through time

Babraham is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Babraham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Babraham in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2177

Date accessed: 25th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Babraham ".