In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Wycombe like this:
WYCOMBE (West), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands on the Maidenhead and Thame railway, under a hill side, 2½ miles NW of Wycombe; is a picturesque place; carries on chair-making; and has a post-office under Wycombe, and a r. station.The parish comprises 6,340 acres. Real property, £9,201. Pop. in 1851, 2,000; in 1861, 2,161. Houses, 437. The manor belonged, till 1550, to the Bishops of Winchester; passed to the Dormers and other s; and with W. ...
Park, has belonged, since 1698, to the Dashwoods. The mansion was much enlarged in 1763, by Lord le Despencer; has a frontage of 300 feet; contains rich decorations, and some fine paintings; and stands in very fine grounds, partly laid out by Repton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300. Patron, Sir J. Dashwood King, Bart. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1763; is a handsome edifice in the Grecian style: stands on the top of a steep hill; and has attached to its E end a beautiful hexagonal mausoleum, now partially in ruins. A cave ½ a mile long, penetrates the church hill, and is much visited by tourists. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels.--The sub district contains six parishes and a part. Acres, 23,687. Pop., 7,156. Houses, 1,457.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Wycombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wycombe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Wycombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Wycombe, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Wycombe".