Place:


Walney  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walney like this:

WALNEY, an island and a chapelry in Dalton-in-Furness parish, Lancashire. The island is separated from Lower Furness by a narrow strait; adjoins, in its central part, the harbour and town of Barrow-in-Furness; extends south-south-eastward, from the month of the Duddon's estuary to the N side of the entrance of Morecambe bay; measures 8 miles in length, and nowhere more than 1 mile in breadth; is low, flat, and distributed into about a dozen farms; contains two small villages; is surmounted, at the S end, by a lighthouse 68 feet high, erected in 1790; and has a post-office under Barrow-in-Furness. ...


The chapelry includes one or two neighbouring islets; and its statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £140.* Patron, the Vicar of Dalton. The church is recent. There is a national school.

Walney through time

Walney is now part of Barrow in Furness district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barrow in Furness has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walney, in Barrow in Furness and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21703

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walney ".