Place:


Walmsley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walmsley like this:

WALMSLEY, a chapelry in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Lancashire; near Bromley-Cross r. station, 3 miles N of Bolton. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Bolton. Pop. in 1861, 3,415. Houses, 641. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £145.* Patron, the Vicar of Bolton. The church was built in 1844. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Unitarians, and a slightly endowed school.

Walmsley through time

Walmsley is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walmsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walmsley, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21702

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walmsley ".