Place:


Victoria Dock  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Victoria Dock like this:

VICTORIA DOCK, a chapelry in West Ham, East Ham, and Woolwich parishes, Essex and Kent; on the river Thames, and on the North Woolwich branch of the Great Eastern railway, nearly opposite Woolwich, and 2½ miles SSE of Stratford. It has two post-offices under London E, and r. stations with telegraph. ...


Pop. in 1868, nearly 10,000. Docks here, on what was previonsly a desolate tract of marsh, were formed in 1855; comprise a water-area of 90 acres, upwards of a mile of quayage, and a total area of 200 acres; and have three pairs of lock-gates, the largest of which is 80 feet in span and entirely of iron. There are also ship-building yards, iron-works, phosphate works, telegraph and india-rubber works, and a sugar refinery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester.

Victoria Dock through time

Victoria Dock is now part of Newham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Victoria Dock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Victoria Dock, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21699

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Victoria Dock ".