Place:


St Day  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Day like this:

DAY (St.), a village and a chapelry in Gwennap parish, Cornwall. The village stands on an eminence, near Scorrier-Gate r. station, and 2¼ miles E by N of Redruth: commands a view of a wondrous mining region around it; and has a post office‡ under Scorrier, and a fair on 25 July. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. ...


Rated property, £7, 874. Pop., 3, 907. The property is much subdivided. The great consolidated and united mines are here; they extend about 2 miles in length, and penetrate about 1, 740 feet in depth; they have produced more copper annually since 1822 than any other mines in Cornwall; and they have railroad communication with Devoran and Portreath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Gwennap. The church was built in 1828, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bryanites. A chapel once stood here, which was a great resort of pilgrims.

St Day through time

St Day is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Day itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Day, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21696

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Day ".