In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitfield like this:
WHITFIELD, a township and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The township lies 1 mile S of Glossop r. station; and its Post town is Glossop, under Manchester. Acres, 1,577. Real property, £17,995; of which £80 are in mines, and £182 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,774; in 1861, 5,679. Houses, 1,144. The manor belongs to Lord Edward Howard. There are cotton factories and Paper-mills.The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 13,040. Houses, 2,552. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1846; and is in the early English style, with a lofty spire. There are several dissenting chapels, a free school, and national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of High Peak. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitfield, in High Peak and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitfield".