Place:


Glengairn  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glengairn like this:

Glengairn, a glen, an ancient quoad civilia parish, and a modern quoad sacra parish, in Aberdeenshire. The glen, commencing among the Cairngorm Mountains, in the N of Crathie and Braemar parish, adjacent to Banffshire, takes down the Cairn 20 miles east-south-eastward to the river Dee, in Glenmuick parish, 1 3/8 mile NW of Ballater. ...


The ancient quoad civilia parish lay chiefly along both banks of the lower half of the Gairn's course, but included also a small tract, called Strathgirnie, on the right bank of the Dee, and is now incorporated with Glenmuick and Tullich. Its church, which stood below the bridge of Gairn, was dedicated to St Mungo or Kentiggern, by whom it was probably founded in the latter half of the 6th century. The modern quoad sacra parish consists mainly of the ancient quoad civilia parish, but includes part of Crathie. It is in the presbytery of Kincardine O'Neil and synod of Aberdeen; the minister's stipend is £120. Its church stands 6 miles NW of the post-town Ballater, 2 miles nearer which is the Roman Catholic church of St Mary Immaculate (1868; 200 sittings). There is also a public school. Pop. (1871) 588, (1881) 454, of whom 17 were in Crathie parish and 437 in Glenmuick.—Ord. Sur., shs. 75, 65, 1876-70.

Glengairn through time

Glengairn is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glengairn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glengairn in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21667

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glengairn ".