Place:


Applethwaite  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Applethwaite like this:

APPLETHWAITE, a township and a chapelry in Windermere parish, Westmoreland. The township contains Windermere village and r. station, includes part of Windermere lake, and extends southward from the mouth of Troutbeck vale to about a mile from Bowness. Post Town, Windermere. Acres, 5,320 of land, and 911 of water. ...


Pop., 1,285. Houses, 187. An upland tract on the NE side, between Troutbeck and Kentmere, is Applethwaite Common. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1856. Pop., 1,235. Houses, 179. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. See Windermere.

Applethwaite through time

Applethwaite is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Applethwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Applethwaite, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21658

Date accessed: 19th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Applethwaite ".