Place:


Starcross  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Starcross like this:

STARCROSS, a village in Kenton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Dawlish parish, Devon. The village stands on the estuary of the Exe, and on the South Devon railway, 8 miles SSE of Exeter; was, till about 1820, a petty hamlet, known only for its cockles and its oysters; is now a large and well built watering-place; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station with telegraph, several respectable inns and lodging-houses, and a fair on Whit-Wednesday. The chapelry was constituted in 1828. Pop., 1,192. Houses, 282. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210.* Patrons, alternately the Dean and Chapter of Exeter and the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Starcross through time

Starcross is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Starcross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Starcross, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21633

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Starcross ".