In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sissinghurst like this:
SISSINGHURST, a chapelry, with Milkhouse-Street hamlet, in Cranbrook parish, Kent; 2 miles NE of Cranbrook, and 4¾ S by E of Staplehurst r. station. Post town, Staplehurst. Pop., 1,133. Houses, 232. The manor belonged to the Saxenhursts, and passed to the Barhams and the Bakers. S. Castle was built, in the time of Edward VI., by Sir John Baker; was converted, toward the end of last century, into a place of confinement for French prisoners; and is now represented by only the great entrance and some other fragments. ...
S. Place is the seat of Admiral Wallace Houstown; Hayselden House, of Lady Mary Hoare; Camden Lodge, of J. E. Wilson, Esq.; and Castle House, of G. Neve, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £120.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1838, and has 3 schools connected with it, for infants, boys, and girls, respectively.
Sissinghurst is now part of Tunbridge Wells district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tunbridge Wells has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sissinghurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sissinghurst, in Tunbridge Wells and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sissinghurst ".