Place:


Shireoaks  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shireoaks like this:

SHIREOAKS, a chapelry, with a village, in Worksop parish, Notts; on the Manchester and Lincolnshire railway, 2½ miles WNW of Worksop. It has a post-office under Worksop, and a r. station. Acres, 848. Pop., about 700. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. S. Hall is the seat of B. Eddison, Esq. ...


A colliery here was begun in 1854; reached the top of the hard coal beds, at a depth of 1,545 feet in 1859; and employs about 450 men and boys. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £190.* Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The new church was built in 1863; the old one was converted into a school for boys; and a new school was built for girls.

Shireoaks through time

Shireoaks is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shireoaks itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shireoaks, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21623

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shireoaks ".