Place:


Seacombe  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seacombe like this:

SEACOMBE, a chapelry in Wallasey parish, Cheshire; on the river Mersey, opposite Liverpool, 1½ mile N N W of Birkenhead r. station. It was constituted in 1847; and it has a post-office‡ under Birkenhead, a steam-boat station, and two good hotels. Rated property, £13, 278. Pop., 3, 683. ...


Houses, 611. The manor was held, in the time of Henry VI., by the Houghs under the Pooles. Many of the inhabitants now are Liverpool merchants. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern; was enlarged in 1859; is in the pointed style of the 13th century; and has a tower and spire 120 feet high. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Welsh Calvinists, and Roman Catholics.

Seacombe through time

Seacombe is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seacombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seacombe, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21620

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seacombe ".