Place:


Stone  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stone like this:

STONE, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in Aylesbury district, Bucks; 2½ miles WSW of Aylesbury r. station. It has a post-office under Aylesbury. Acres, 2,590. Real property, £5,742. Pop. in 1851, 785; in 1861, 1,094,-of whom 295 were in the Bucks lunatic asylum. Houses, 169. ...


The manor belongs to Dr. J. Lee. Peveraland St. John's Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £390.* Patron, the Royal Astronomical Society. The church is early English, with Norman arches; and was recently restored. There are two Wesleyan chapels and a national school.

Stone through time

Stone is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stone, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2161

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stone ".