Place:


Rock Ferry  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rock Ferry like this:

ROCK-FERRY, a village and a chapelry in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 1½ mile S S E of Birkenhead; consisted, about 1835, of only 3 or 4houses; is now a considerable suburb of Birkenhead; contains many handsome villas; and has a post-office‡under Birkenhead, a r. ...


station, and a half-hourly steam-boat-ferry to Liverpool. The chapelry includes also the village and iron pier of New Ferry, and was constituted in 1844. Pop. in 1861, 2,086. Houses, 336. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £161. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1842; and is in the Norman style, with tower and spire. A Wesleyan chapel is at Rock-Ferry; and national schools and a Brethren's chapel are at New-Ferry.

Rock Ferry through time

Rock Ferry is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rock Ferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rock Ferry, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21608

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rock Ferry ".