Place:


Pownall Fee  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pownall Fee like this:

POWNALL-FEE, a township in Wilmslow parish, Cheshire; on the river Bollin, and the Northwestern railway, 5¼ miles S W by S of Stockport. It contains the hamlets of Morley, Styal, and Stanilands. Acres, 3, 556. Real property, £8, 972. Pop. in 1851, 1, 907; in 1861, 2, 181. Houses, 430. ...


Pownall Hall is the seat of T. Hobson, Esq.; and Norcliffe Hall, of R. H. Greg, Esq. Gas-works for all Wilmslow parish and for Alderley-Edgewere constructed in 1864. An extensive cotton factoryis in Styal; and a silk-throwing mill is in Stanilands. Achapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, a Unitarian chapel, and public schools are in Styal; and chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans, are in Morley.

Location is for Pownall Hall.

Pownall Fee through time

Pownall Fee is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pownall Fee itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pownall Fee, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21600

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pownall Fee ".