Place:


Potter Newton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Potter Newton like this:

NEWTON-POTTER, a township in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; suburban to Chapel-Allerton, and from 1¼to 2½ miles N N E of Leeds. It contains the village of New Leeds, part of the village of Buslingthorpe, and the hamlets of Gipton, Harehills, and Squire-Pastures; and it takes the latter part of its name from relics of a very ancient pottery, supposed to have been Roman. ...


Acres, 1, 667. Real property, £12, 332; of which £550 are in mines, and £668 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 385; in 1861, 1,878. Houses, 375. The manor belonged formerly to the Mauleverers, the Scotts, and the Hardwicks; and belongs now to the Earl of Mexborough. There are many good residences.

Potter Newton through time

Potter Newton is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Potter Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Potter Newton, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21599

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Potter Newton ".