Place:


Port Carlisle  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Port Carlisle like this:

PORT-CARLISLE, a small sea-port in the N of Cumberland; on the Solway frith, at the terminus of the Port-Carlisle railway, 11¼ miles W N W of Carlisle. A ship-canal from this place to Carlisle was formed in 1819; rose 70 feet, with nine locks; and, in terms of an act of1853, was converted into a railway . ...


The capital foreffecting the change was £120,000; docks were formedwith a further capital of £40,000; and power was obtained in 1860 to raise a further capital of £40,000. The railway is identical with the Carlisle and Silloth railway, from Carlisle to Drumburgh, a distance of fully 9 miles; and, together with that railway, is leased to the North British.

Port Carlisle through time

Port Carlisle is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Carlisle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Carlisle, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21597

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Carlisle ".