Pensford  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pensford like this:

PENSFORD, a village and parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Chew, and the North Somerset railway, 6½ miles S S E of Bristol; was once a market-town, and a seat of cloth manufacture; and has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Bristol, and fairs on 6 May and 8 Nov. ...

The parish iscalled St. Thomas-in-Pensford, and comprises 740 acres. Real property, not separately returned. Pop., 312. Houses, 78. Hill House is a chief residence. A railway viaduct, of 16 arches, and upwards of 90 feet high, herecrosses the Chew river; and was constructed in 1866. The scenery is fine. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Stanton-Drew, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is partly Norman, with an embattled tower; and contains an old carved oak pulpit, acurious old stone font, and monumental tablets to the Guys, the Veales, and the Thompsons. There are British schools and some small charities.

Pensford through time

Pensford is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pensford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pensford in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 23rd March 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pensford ".