Place:


Old Ford  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Ford like this:

OLD FORD, a metropolitan suburb and a chapelry in Stratford-le-Bow parish, Middlesex. The suburb lieson an ancient Roman road, on the river Lea, at the boundary with Essex, and on the North London and the Great Eastern railways, ¼ of a mile N of Stratford-le-Bow, and 3¾ E N E of St. ...


Pauls; is now generally known as North Bow; is within Tower Hamlets borough; and hasstations on the railways, and three post-offices under London E. Here are the East London water-works, dye-works, lucifer-match works, chemical-works, and various manufactories; here also is the gate of an old seat, called King John's palace; and immediately to the N Ware Duckett's canal and the Victoria park. The chapelrywas constituted in 1858. Pop. in 1861, 7, 158. Houses, 1, 181. Pop. in 1867, not less than 12,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £300.* Patrons, Five Trustees.

Old Ford through time

Old Ford is now part of Tower Hamlets district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tower Hamlets has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Ford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Ford, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21578

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Ford ".